Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Forgotten World of Children


I am a mom, with all the duties of daily life shooting at me like tennis balls from a serving machine; often, I am happily keeping up with each ball: dishes, wham! homeschooling, wham!dog-ate-paper-towel-roll clean-up, wham!

Sometimes, in life, a ball comes flying in from some other court and suddenly I am on my rear with tennis balls flying past me (the machine doesn't stop for surprises).

I found myself more solidly on my rear recently- this last surprise ball flew past, and I watched it like one would a shooting star across the sky; I didn't even notice the pummeling I was taking from the machine balls. I turned back to face the machine with little more than raw will. Kid with pink eye, dirty floors, disinfect bathrooms, dishes times fifty, dog eating furniture, messy yard, tutor, wham-wham-wham-wham-wham-wham. I must have looked like the Road Runner playing tennis. But mysteriously, the machine turned off- or it lost its verve. Because of that last, curving ball, I was left with a sense of silence and retreat, even as I continued parrying with the duties of my life.

From within that retreat, a place of struggle, I somehow was given the grace to begin to be grateful to God: but in simple things, like the swirl of a cloud, the spread of stars, a bird on top of a pine tree sticking out his breast- childlike things. I also noticed from this retreat little details like the repeatedly wet shoes I found on my porch: children's shoes; my childrens' shoes. In a normal time, these presented themselves as only tennis balls to hit and move on: now I stopped to wonder what they were doing. Could I be grateful for these wet shoes?

Thanksgiving Day, my nine-year-old daughter, Ana, started talking to me about Delos, Minith Tirith, and the journey across the river. I was listening more intently than usual, because I was in a retreat. At the mention of the river, seven-year-old Sophie joined in with, "It is so cold, Mom!"- and like a puzzle piece, the wet shoes on the porch fit. Aha, I thought; but I did not start with the usual questions about wet shoes, from my mom-laundry-mold problems perspective. I just listened. "Can you come with us today and see Delos?" asked Ana.

We got on our bikes and coats and gloves and hats- and started out on the commonplace road towards City Park. On the edge of the Popo Agie river, we parked our bikes. I was worried about the bikes getting stolen, but the girls just looked at me and shrugged, and I, because of the retreat in my heart, no longer cared. Instead, I looked down the hill towards the gently dancing water, and asked, "How do we get there?" I followed them down the hill, through bracken, reeds bowed by the last snow, and little mirrors of frozen water. We reached the shining beach of large river rocks, sunning themselves in their break from being the riverbed. The winter-river was not deep, but running and very cold. We were to get across by stepping on stones. I noticed, in my new observant and docile state, that Ana and Sophie were intent on getting across, and the coldness of the water did not bother them in the least. "That's cold", Sophie said, in the same manner as I would have said about a flower, "That's pretty."

We picked our way across, holding onto the grey, spindly branches of a tree which hung submissively over the river. I learned from the children that your feet actually stay warmer if you just get wet in your shoes and socks. I'd forgotten this short-sighted wisdom of a child in the throes of adventure. Climbing up the hill, I noticed bits of man-made cement holding back the dirt, and felt a sadness, like the breaking of a spell. We were yet in a land where the spirit lay fettered in practicalities and trash. But Sophie said, "Here's a good, flat rock to climb on- hey, lookit this wire in it! COOOL!". It was cool.

Ana had run ahead to a blackened-bark, old tree whose branches, never pruned, reached down heavily to the ground. It made a network of little rooms, and in one, the children had placed an old bell or something upside down as a decoration. It looked pathetic on one level, but through their eyes, it was the treasury of Minith Tirith. I was shown Neptune's frozen pond, and we journeyed further towards our goal, Delos. As we neared it, I could feel the childrens' excitement building. Ana, in her odd mixture of practicality and imagination, was our tour guide, showing us all the solid paths, and at the same time, saying things like, "I don't know if Apollo will be there. Maybe Artemis. She's usually around." We approached another un-pruned tree, branches bowed to the ground, but forming a huge space, the size of a small circus tent. A deer bounded out, and I could see that we'd disturbed her nesting space. At the entrance, Sophie and Ana picked their way into the center of Delos. I hung back, looking in. "Come in, Mommy"; "Yeah, Mom, come in! Do you like it? Do you?"

I still hung back, smiling, and remembering my Deloses from childhood. There was a branch with many spindly fingers reaching across the open space in the middle, with a strange, drippy green moss hanging from each digit. The sunlight filtering in made the green sparkle like emeralds; jewels of Artemis. I stared at this unexpected beauty for a moment, and I said, "I love it. But if I come in, I will break the spell of this place. I am admiring it, but I am a Big Person." Their eyes shone, because they knew somehow that I was affirming their world, by respecting it enough not to enter.

As we walked past the frozen pond, I noted that there was another pond completely unfrozen. Instead of thinking of what chemical quality of the different ponds made one freeze and the other stay fluid, I noted quite casually, "Perhaps the Ice Queen froze this pond because it gave her no fish, and the other one did." Four eyes shone brighter.

Deep in the spell now, we maneuvered our way back across the ferocious torrent by the log bridge, using a special balancing stick. No one noticed that I nearly broke the child's bridge, but I was roundly cheered upon my leaping to the other side, as if I'd got across the Amazon by swinging across on a vine. I was then treated to the super-duper hill in McManus Park, and I got the ultimate compliment: "Mrs. F- would never do this- we're lucky to have you as our mom."

On the way home in our wet shoes, toes frozen, we stopped to pet a cat.

Do not,in your sorrow or joy, not see the child's world for the balls, I told myself as I peddled home, looking at the massive mountains in the distance.

Image: near Delos, Greek island of mythology